span.fullpost {display:inline;}

27 September 2005

Focus

On my silent retreat last year at Seven Fountains I had a spiritual director assisting me. His name is Father David Townsend. He was recently quoted in an interview that I thought was cool.
"Father David observes that happiness is as elusive a quality as spirituality. Finding joy in life depends on the focus of the person. A focus on self may reveal the negatives in the self. A focus on something larger may allow people to experience great joy."

this was helpful for me b/c lately I've been doing a lot of thinking about myself and my life. Not that that bad, but can get overwhelming. It's refreshing to take a step back and breath the fresh air of perspective. When I focus on the bigger things it helps me relax.
I'm trying to learn to speak Visayan still. It's so hard, but it will be worth it when I can communicate with people here who do not speak English.

2 Comments:

At 7:42 AM PDT, Blogger Ryan said...

Glad to hear of your shifting focus. Sometimes it's just too comfortable to think about our problems or issues or circumstances, that we can easily forget about the bigger things in life that really matter.

 
At 11:46 PM PDT, Blogger Matthew Vernie Liam said...

true, true

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.