span.fullpost {display:inline;}

26 September 2005

Pineapple, Coconut, and Sugar Cane


It's tradition in Philippine culture for a chaperone to accompany a courting couple wherever they go. So Vernie chose her cousin and best friend Dat Dat to be ours. It's been a lot of fun having her around, and she has been very helpful too. Seen in this pic is Dat Dat, Vernie, and me at the "lover's lane" lookout.
Vernie took me to her home town where she grew up, and we spent the last five days there. It's a rural town called Kadingilan, in Bukidnun province. I met "the family", and by that I mean all the cousins and aunts and uncles. It was fun. I saw spider fighting, cool lighting storms, acres of rolling hills of farmland, and "market day." It was a little tiring being the center of attention, but fun for Vernie to show me off to everyone. I was greeted with warm hospitality and friendly smiles from all. The most repeated question we got was, "when is the wedding?" Our answer, "we'll let you know.....and of course you are invited."
Now we are back in Cagayan again at her parent's house. I just got my visa extension so I can stay till November. My "plumbing" is a little unstable at the moment. Not too bad yet though. Hopefully it's just some food my body is not used too. It's either the raw goat skin or the pig's blood soup.
Thanks for reading. Till next time....

3 Comments:

At 6:22 AM PDT, Blogger Ryan said...

Yeah, I've always had trouble with pig's blood soup too. Must be the acidity. :)

 
At 2:28 AM PDT, Blogger Matthew Vernie Liam said...

Thank goodness for the pepto tabs.

 
At 6:09 AM PDT, Blogger coryandfarah said...

I know what it's like to meet the family. Farah's mom had this little get-together the last time we went to Taiwan and there were just a few family members there... you know, like 80!!!! By the end of the night, after meeting all of Farah's aunts and uncles and cousins' cousins, my face was in pain from smiling so much, because I was sure to follow the golden rule and "just smile." Good luck and keep smiling! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.